Monday, May 20, 2013

Getting a Car Painted in Mexico


This 1973 VW Bug ...called a Vocho (pronounced Bocho) here in Mexico, has been sitting in the Pueblo getting painted for almost a month now. At least she is finally green. The origianl plan was to paint an OM symbol on the driver's door, but I am getting impatient.

Did I mention patience? This is a trait you need to cultivate if you want to spend time in Mexico. Manana means "some time in the future" and that's ok if you are enjoying the sun and drinking a margarita. But when you get into the nitty gritty of life and you need to get a car painted, you better believe it will test your patience.

When I first dropped this car off, they said it would take a week. Its been a month.

Well at least there isn't a dog named Tranquillo living under it. My old BMW that I took to the shop around the corner to get some engine work done had to be retrieved 6 months later and poor Tranquillo had to be evicted from his home. That car is now sitting in my garage waiting for my attention (and for me to find replacement parts for the parts the mechanic lost).

But the Bocho (written that way to remind you of how to say it) is coming home tomorrow. Its a gift for my daughter. I think she's going to name it The Avacado.


No comments:

Post a Comment